Week 76


Kia Ora Whanau.... Sike I'm still here! 

This week has been the most dramatic week of my mission and it happened all from inside my flat. So last Monday morning I got a call from the office telling me that I would be going home in about two days and then I sent my super dramatic last email. I received some really heartfelt responses that really lifted my spirits so thank you all so much. 

Monday night I received a call from President Soloai. I assumed that it was going to be about me going home but then next minute he tells me that I need to be in Palmerston North by 12:30pm the next day to pick up another trainee! They evacuated the MTC and our mission took in 7 missionaries. I was like what the heck! Am I going home or am I training? 

Anyways, the next day I had so much anxiety because Monday was such an emotional roller coaster. The zone leaders dropped by in the morning to drop off an extra bed and I just felt really prompted to get a blessing and it spoke so much peace to my soul! The priesthood is so real everyone! 

About 5 minutes into our drive to Palmy the front right tire popped. I was like what the heck! Again! Anyways we changed it and then called the Zone leaders to swap cars so we didn't have to take the spare tire on our road trip. We got there an hour late but it's all good. We picked up my 6th trainee, Sister Ieremia who is from Kiribati. She is so cute and so ready to serve the Lord. We then went to Maccas because it's the only place still open and then went and got some emergency supplies and headed back to Waipukurau for quarantine. 

Wednesday morning I was feeling like what the heck are we suppose to do! How the heck am I suppose to train two missionaries when we can't even teach anyone! But the Lord provided a schedule for us to follow so it really just came down to being obedient to it. Wednesday morning, an email went out announcing that all foreign missionaries will be getting sent home as soon as possible and everyone freaked out. I was grateful that I already knew I was coming home and so I had come to some kind of terms with it. When I say everyone freaked out I mean everyone forgot they were missionaries. I was like wow relax! We are still here, we are still missionaries, just keep doing your job. 

Thursday night we had an almost miracle. We were calling all the people in our area book trying to see if anyone wanted to do lessons over the phone. We called one lady who used to be taught by the missionaries and we invited her to take lessons online. She said yes! And said she wanted us to video call her and her two sons for the very next day! We were so excited! Honestly it was such a miracle and tender mercy of the Lord. It boosted our spirits so much and was a blessing for being obedient. Then the next day though, she didn't answer any of our calls or texts or video calls. It was so disappointing, but honestly how alot of the mission goes. I don't think that experience was about us actually getting to teach this family, it was just about Heavenly Father boosting our spirits on a really hard day and reminding us that He is still in charge and this is still His work.

Friday I was kind of beginning to want to go home but the I studied chapter 9 about finding people to teach and I received so much revelation of ideas of things we could do to find people and then we did weekly planning and we again saw the hand of the Lord and received so much revelation on how we can keep the work moving forward and be effective. In that moment I just had this overwhelming feeling come over me that I did not want to go home. Honestly quarantine is hard but I kind of love it because it forces me to rely on the Lord and do missionary work in a way I've never done before and it's so miraculous and exciting! But then Friday night we received a call that we would be moving closer to Wellington. So we packed all night. 

Saturday we drove up to Flaxmere and dropped off Sister Ieremia because she's not going home. Then we drove down to Masterton. It was so crazy to be back here. It was fun though because I got to call heaps of members and people I was teaching and talk to them. It's kind of a tender mercy because now I get to say goodbye to people that I wouldn't otherwise have gotten to say goodbye to.

Sunday was actually cool because we video called a less active girl from Waipuk. She is going through a really hard time and honestly this quarantine is for her because we would have never reached out to her through video calling and if we hadn't she would have never opened up about her trials and we couldn't have offered any support. It was a really spiritual and I felt so privileged to be apart of it. It's also really cool because when I do eventually go home I will get to keep video calling her! 

We are now just sitting around in Masterton and waiting for news. We don't know anything and that used to really bother me but I'm okay with it now. For my spiritual thought I want to share a quote by Henry B. Eyeing. He said , "when you do your part, the Lord adds his power to your efforts." This has been so evident this week. As we have strived to be obedient and do our part to continue to do missionary work, the Lord has stretched forth his hand and added power to magnify our efforts and help us be effective instruments in his hand. I know that as each of us do our part in ministering and reaching out to all of our brothers and sisters, especially during this crazy time, that you will see how the Lord adds his power to your efforts and you will see miracles occur.

Ofa Atu

Sister Olson 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 73

Week 29